We prepared our budget for 2021 for working completely remote, and envisioned some ambitious projects for our websites and infrastructure. Some of them we managed to complete but most of them could not even be started due to the lack of contributors.
We had some bigger tasks on our most important page.
- Content restructure: With the relocation of some of the TYPO3 product content to the typo3.com site, we had to rearrange some pages and set canonical urls to the new places of that content. In addition, the whole certification part moved completely to typo3.com.
- Finding extensions: We managed to surface TYPO3 extensions from the TYPO3 Extension Repository on the typo3.org search.
- Suggested search: When searching, the large orange area in the page header is now populated with results grouped by content type. The results change and adapt with every character you type.
- Extension documentation voting: In time with the TYPO3 v11 release, the Documentation Team started a small contest to find the best extension documentation. We provided the possibility to nominate extensions and give voting points to the nominated extensions.
- TYPO3 version filter: Do you need to know which extension version works for your TYPO3 version? You can filter now in the version history easily.
- Crowdin support: Extensions with Crowdin support now have an overview showing which languages are translated and how far the process is.
- The voting extension was refactored and is now supporting TYPO3 v10.
- Anchor links for headings: All headings now have anchors with links on mouse-over to provide links directly jumping to the desired section.
- Full refactoring for PHP 8.1: The application was updated to the latest Symfony/Doctrine packages and a complete refactoring was done with Rector and PHPStan on max level. This made the update from 7.4 to PHP 8.1 possible at last, which is a big performance improvement.
- Introduction of TYPO3 11: The new TYPO3 11 LTS was added to the homepage with a list of new features.
- New API endpoints: Previously the API endpoint was at /v1/api and is now changed to /api/v1 (including aliasing to the old endpoints for compatibility). The endpoints are now streamlined with the one of the TER API. Also the Core and Darth were changed to reflect the new endpoint for ELTS versions down to 9.5.
- Update to Satis 3 for Composer 2 support: With the release of Composer 2 many things have changed and the data structure was highly optimized. Therefore an update to the latest Satis was made to be fully compatible with Composer 1 and 2.
- Preparation for the Sitepackage Builder: The preparation of the new Sitepackage Builder was also continued and is now almost ready for the deployment.
- Many other small changes and fixes: Details can be found in the repository directly, there were about 40 other small changes and fixes during the last year.
For 2022 we plan to have mainly t3o Remote Days. As in 2021 we would like to give money for different smaller projects within the typo3.org universe.
- TYPO3 v11 upgrades
- SSO integration
- Restructure typo3.org homepage
- Allow frontend editing for events
- Better integration for Composer
- Deprecation and shutdown of SOAP interface
- Sitepackage Builder: The long-standing preparation for the Sitepackage Builder, based on the work of Benjamin Kott and known from sitepackagebuilder.com, is almost finished and should get published in the first quarter of this year.
- Project Builder: The Project Builder is an enhanced version of the Sitepackage Builder and the well known Composer Helper, and helps with the easy creation of new projects including a Site Package and a common project structure with a few clicks. This especially helps newcomers and less experienced users for best practice startup of their projects.
- User management via login.typo3.com: Currently the API has a separate user and access handling. It is planned to use the central user repository at login.typo3.com in the near future.
- Management Backend: At the moment the database is managed via API. There is still some refactoring of the entities on-going to finally use one of the excellent UI packages for a simple access to management features.
- Move to git.typo3.org: The repository should finally be moved from GitHub to the self hosted GitLab instance at git.typo3.org. The first steps are done, but CI and CD still have to be rewritten properly to achieve this goal.
- Minor improvements: There are also some minor improvements and fixes planned, especially the cache handling which causes troubles from time to time when creating new releases. More information is available in the repository issues.