The current sprint is coming to an end, so here are some bits and infos from what we did during the last three days:
Archived and Migrated About 100 Old Websites
As we are moving to a new infrastructure platform, more than 100 websites were moved to their new home. Some of them were old TYPO3 instances (e.g. websites of past TYPO3 conferences) which have been archived using httrack into plain HTML format. Thanks to this, we no longer need to maintain those websites, while they stay available in case you like to browse those past events.
Migrated Old Web Servers
Thanks to this cleanup, ten servers could be removed from our infrastructure. See below for more information about this.
Migrated DNS Infrastructure
Our Chef-managed DNS server has been replaced with a web-based solution. PowerDNS is still being used in the background.
Service Migration to Containers (LDAP, Redmine, OTRS)
In our effort to move any non-LAMP projects into Docker containers, the container for OTRS was set up during the weekend. The migration will take place over the coming weeks.
The Redmine container at forge.typo3.org was also finished, but migration will take some more time, as we like to update to the latest version of Redmine.
Planning and Collaboration with the typo3.org and Core Team
typo3.org Website Team
We've created a LDAP username policy: In the future we want to ensure clearer conventions for usernames. We created a convention and communicated it in the sign-up process. Existing users whose usernames did not fit to the new convention were informed via mail and received an updated login name.
LDAP user deletion process: We coordinated our teams to streamline and improve the internal process.
Slack is a useful tool for our community, especially to coordinate our team work. But it comes with various downsides: The public visibility of TYPO3 content on the web is decreasing. Therefore, we discussed ways to strengthen other tools we are using, e.g. talk.typo3.org.
The focus for the sprint was voting.typo3.org. We prepared the system for the upcoming election and tried to improve usability and performance. And as usual, we updated all typo3.org environments and the development setup (DDEV 1.13.1, extension updates, etc).
LDAP Database Cleanup
We want to clean up our user data, making usernames stick to the rules, for best compatibility with our growing stack of tools. In a first update, we migrated usernames to all-lowercase. In the next update, we will replace all non-standard characters and migrate all affected users to comply with the rules. Of course, we will inform the affected users beforehand and provide a migration path.
Evaluation of the Single Sign-On Solution
As we plan to provide two-factor authentication for all services, we started the evaluation of Keycloak, in addition to the user base cleanup in LDAP and did some tests and integrations using the LDAP server as the main source of account information.
Mailing List Migration
One of the oldest services still running are our Mailman-based mailing lists. For security- and release announcements, this is still a functionality that has not yet been replaced with a better functionality. Benni Mack kickstarted a new service, "announce.typo3.org", to provide such functionality using a different tool than Mailman.
As a result of the infrastructure migration, we were able to stop two servers that have been donated by Punkt.de since 2013. These servers marked the beginning of our OpenVZ adventure and gave us a lot of new possibilities. Thanks to Punkt, typo3.org was running fast and reliably for many years. (It was already moved to a new server in 2017, but other services were still running on these servers until recently..)
A few weeks earlier, we were already able to shut down another server that was donated by jweiland.net and used for running review.typo3.org (Gerrit) and forge.typo3.org (Redmine) since 2015.
We would like to thank Punkt.de and jweiland.net for providing these systems at no cost for the TYPO3 project. You rock!