- Component Type: TYPO3 CMS
- Subcomponent: Rich Text Editor CKEditor4 (ext:rte_ckeditor)
- Release Date: July 25, 2023
- Vulnerability Type: Cross-Site Scripting
- Affected Versions: 9.5.0-9.5.41, 10.0.0-10.4.38, 11.0.0-11.5.29
- Severity: Medium
- Suggested CVSS: CVSS:3.1/AV:N/AC:H/PR:N/UI:R/S:C/C:L/I:L/A:N/E:F/RL:O/RC:C
- References: CVE-2023-37905, CWE-79
The WordCount plugin (npm:ckeditor-wordcount-plugin) for CKEditor4 is vulnerable to cross-site scripting when switching to the source code mode. This plugin is enabled via the Full.yaml configuration present, but is not active in the default configuration.
In default scenarios, exploiting this vulnerability requires a valid backend user account. However, if custom plugins are used on the website frontend, which accept and reflect rich-text content submitted by users, no authentication is required.
Update to TYPO3 versions 9.5.42 ELTS, 10.4.39 ELTS, 11.5.30 that fix the problem described above.
Thanks to Sybille Peters who reported this issue, and to TYPO3 core & security team member Oliver Hader who fixed the issue.
All security related code changes are tagged so that you can easily look them up in our review system.