- Component Type: TYPO3 CMS
- Subcomponent: HTML Sanitizer (based on typo3/html-sanitizer)
- Release Date: July 25, 2023
- Vulnerability Type: Cross-Site Scripting
- Affected Versions: 8.7.42-8.7.52, 9.5.29-9.5.41, 10.4.19-10.4.38, 11.3.2-11.5.29, 12.0.0-12.4.3
- Severity: Medium
- Suggested CVSS: CVSS:3.1/AV:N/AC:H/PR:N/UI:R/S:C/C:L/I:L/A:N/E:F/RL:O/RC:C
- References: CVE-2023-38500, CWE-79
Due to an encoding issue in the serialization layer, malicious markup nested in a noscript element was not encoded correctly. noscript is disabled in the default configuration, but might have been enabled in custom scenarios. This allows bypassing the cross-site scripting mechanism of typo3/html-sanitizer.
Update to TYPO3 versions 8.7.53 ELTS, 9.5.42 ELTS, 10.4.39 ELTS, 11.5.30, 12.4.4 that fix the problem described above.
Thanks to David Klein and Yaniv Nizry who reported this issue, and to TYPO3 core & security team members Oliver Hader and Benjamin Franzke who fixed the issue.
All security related code changes are tagged so that you can easily look them up in our review system.