- Component Type: TYPO3 CMS
- Subcomponent: Session Storage (ext:core)
- Release Date: March 16, 2021
- Vulnerability Type: Sensitive Data Exposure
- Affected Versions: 6.2.0-6.2.56, 7.0.0-7.6.50, 8.0.0-8.7.39, 9.0.0-9.5.24, 10.0.0-10.4.13, 11.0.0-11.1.0
- Severity: High
- Suggested CVSS: CVSS:3.1/AV:N/AC:H/PR:N/UI:N/S:U/C:H/I:H/A:H/E:F/RL:O/RC:C
- References: CVE-2021-21339, CWE-312
User session identifiers were stored in cleartext - without processing of additional cryptographic hashing algorithms. This vulnerability cannot be exploited directly and occurs in combination with a chained attack - like for instance SQL injection in any other component of the system.
Update to TYPO3 versions 6.2.57, 7.6.51, 8.7.40, 9.5.25, 10.4.14, 11.1.1 that fix the problem described.
Thanks to TYPO3 security team member Oliver Hader who reported this issue and to TYPO3 core & security team members Benni Mack & Oliver Hader who fixed the issue.
Follow the recommendations that are given in the TYPO3 Security Guide. Please subscribe to the typo3-announce mailing list.
All security related code changes are tagged so that you can easily look them up in our review system.