- Component Type: TYPO3 CMS
- Subcomponent: Session Storage (ext:core)
- Release Date: November 17, 2020
- Vulnerability Type: Sensitive Data Exposure
- Affected Versions: 10.0.0-10.4.9, 9.0.0-9.5.22, 8.7.0-8.7.37 ELTS, 7.6.0-7.6.47 ELTS, 6.2.0-6.2.53 ELTS
- Severity: High
- Suggested CVSS: CVSS:3.1/AV:N/AC:H/PR:N/UI:N/S:U/C:H/I:H/A:H/E:F/RL:O/RC:C
- References: CVE-2020-26228, CWE-312
User session identifiers were stored in cleartext - without processing of additional cryptographic hashing algorithms. This vulnerability cannot be exploited directly and occurs in combination with a chained attack - like for instance SQL injection in any other component of the system.
Update to TYPO3 versions 10.4.10, 9.5.23, 8.7.38 ELTS, 7.6.48 ELTS or 6.2.54 ELTS that fix the problem described.
Thanks to TYPO3 security team member Helmut Hummel who reported this issue and to TYPO3 core & security team members Benni Mack & Oliver Hader as well as TYPO3 contributor Markus Klein who fixed the issue.
All security related code changes are tagged so that you can easily look them up in our review system.