- Component Type: TYPO3 CMS
- Vulnerable subcomponent: Install Tool Session Handling
- Release Date: December 11, 2018
- Vulnerability Type: Security Misconfiguration
- Affected Versions: 7.0.0-7.6.31, 8.0.0-8.7.20 and 9.0.0-9.5.1
- Severity: Medium
- Suggested CVSS v3.0: AV:N/AC:H/PR:N/UI:R/S:U/C:L/I:L/A:L/E:F/RL:O/RC:C
- CVE: not assigned yet
It has been discovered that cookies created in the Install Tool are not hardened to be submitted only via HTTP. In combination with other vulnerabilities such as cross-site scripting it can lead to hijacking an active and valid session in the Install Tool.
Update to TYPO3 versions 7.6.32, 8.7.21 or 9.5.2 that fix the problem described.
It is suggested to clear the Typo3InstallTool cookie in web browsers.
Thanks to TYPO3 core team member Oliver Hader who reported this issue and to TYPO3 core team member Andreas Wolf who fixed the issue.
All security related code changes are tagged so that you can easily look them up in our review system.