- Component Type: TYPO3 CMS
- Vulnerable subcomponent: Online media asset handling
- Release Date: December 11, 2018
- Vulnerability Type: Denial of Service
- Affected Versions: 7.0.0-7.6.31, 8.0.0-8.7.20 and 9.0.0-9.5.1
- Severity: Medium
- Suggested CVSS v3.0: AV:N/AC:L/PR:L/UI:N/S:U/C:N/I:N/A:L/E:F/RL:O/RC:C
- CVE: not assigned yet
Online Media Asset Handling (*.youtube and *.vimeo files) in the TYPO3 backend is vulnerable to denial of service. Putting large files with according file extensions results in high consumption of system resources. This can lead to exceeding limits of the current PHP process which results in a dysfunctional backend component. A valid backend user account or write access on the server system (e.g. SFTP) is needed in order to exploit this vulnerability.
Update to TYPO3 versions 7.6.32, 8.7.21 or 9.5.2 that fix the problem described.
Thanks to Michael Schams who reported this issue and to TYPO3 core team member Oliver Hader who fixed the issue.
Follow the recommendations that are given in the TYPO3 Security Guide. Please subscribe to the typo3-announce mailing list.
All security related code changes are tagged so that you can easily look them up in our review system.