- Component Type: TYPO3 CMS
- Subcomponent: HTML Sanitizer (based on typo3/html-sanitizer)
- Release Date: September 13, 2022
- Vulnerability Type: Cross-Site Scripting
- Affected Versions: 7.0.0-7.6.57, 8.0.0-8.7.47, 9.0.0-9.5.36, 10.0.0-10.4.31, 11.0.0-11.5.15
- Severity: Medium
- Suggested CVSS: CVSS:3.1/AV:N/AC:L/PR:N/UI:R/S:C/C:L/I:L/A:N/E:F/RL:O/RC:C
- References: CVE-2022-36020, CWE-79
Due to a parsing issue in upstream package masterminds/html5, malicious markup used in a sequence with special HTML comments cannot be filtered and sanitized. This allows to by-pass the cross-site scripting mechanism of typo3/html-sanitizer.
Update to TYPO3 version 7.6.58 ELTS, 8.7.48 ELTS, 9.5.37 ELTS, 10.4.32 or 11.5.16 that fix the problem described above.
Thanks to David Klein who reported this issue, and to TYPO3 security team member Oliver Hader who fixed the issue.
All security related code changes are tagged so that you can easily look them up in our review system.