2016
2015
2014
2013
2012
2011
2010
2009
2008
2007
2006
2005

Explanation of the T3A 2013 budget

January 18, 2013

Category: Association,  Top News
Author: Expert Advisory Board

In this article we are going to explain how the budgets have been assigned for 2013 and the reasons that made us decide like this.

Introduction

Facts and Figures

It is the first year that the TYPO3 Association distributes the yearly budget in a new way. The whole process has been described a while ago in the following news article: http://typo3.org/news/article/submit-your-2013-budget-application-now/

Before the meeting started, the cashier of the TYPO3 Association informed the EAB that the available money to be used by budgets in 2013 is expected to be EUR 475.000,00.
Contrary to this, all applications which were handed in by the community were building a sum of EUR 1.369.736,73. To compare this number: The budget in 2012 was EUR 561.883,25.

Based on the TYPO3 Associations members opinion the EAB discussed each budget application in detail on the 8th and 9th of January 2013. The EAB contacted some of the budget applicants to clarify questions and discuss alternatives. Finally, a spreadsheet was sent to the TYPO3 Association Board containing the details of each budget application and the granted budget sums (acknowledgement by the TYPO3 Associations General Assembly assumed).

As next steps the budget applicants will be informed about the status of their application. Accepted budgets will receive a confirmation in addition to a letter signed by the EAB. The BCC will receive a copy of the granted budgets. The EAB will be working with the BCC and the TYPO3 Association cashier to ensure the correct usage of the granted funds. Funds can be withdrawn by the EAB if usage is not within agreed limits. Budget owners have to indicate changes to conditions of the application and let these changes be confirmed by the EAB. Budget owners have no right to grant money to other funded projects.

About the decision taking

Taking decisions is always difficult. We took care of keeping a good balance between continuity and renewment. Our main focus was to reach out to as many people in the projects and teams while staying on track with the upcoming requirements that only few see as necessary. All decisions were taken in full consent and with the best expectations.

Budget details

Security Team

Product - Helmut Hummel - http://forge.typo3.org/boards/15/topics/40

Based on the acceptance in the member poll, we have accepted the application as is.

TYPO3 v6

Product - Oliver Hader - http://forge.typo3.org/boards/15/topics/51

Based on the acceptance in the member poll, we have accepted the application as is.

TYPO3 Deployment (v6 and beyond)

Product - Tobias Liebig - http://forge.typo3.org/boards/15/topics/50

Based on the acceptance in the member poll, we have accepted the application as is.

Server - TYPO3 Infrastructure Maintenance

Other - Michael Stucki - http://forge.typo3.org/boards/15/topics/41

Based on the acceptance in the member poll, we have accepted the application as is.

TYPO3 documentation rendering maintenance and further developments

Other - François Suter - http://forge.typo3.org/boards/15/topics/20

Based on the acceptance in the member poll, we have accepted the application as is.

Extbase

Product - Anja Leichsenring - http://forge.typo3.org/boards/15/topics/26

Based on the acceptance in the member poll, we have accepted the application as is.

Extension Builder

Product - Nico de Haen, Rens Admiraal - http://forge.typo3.org/boards/15/topics/54

Based on the acceptance in the member poll, we have accepted the application as is. Due to the fact that there will be much more working time as the team has asked funding for, we will also grant the few hours of working time.

TER Development

Product - Fabien Udriot - http://forge.typo3.org/boards/15/topics/57

Based on the acceptance in the member poll, we have accepted the application as is.

Certification

Other - Dominic Brander - http://forge.typo3.org/boards/15/topics/17

The certification budget application still included some costs which were only needed for self-organized certifications. As certifications are organized by an external partner now, we adapted the budget accordingly. Besides that, the application has been accepted without further cuts.

TYPO3 Conference Europe 2013

Event - Jürgen Egeling - http://forge.typo3.org/boards/15/topics/43

Based on the acceptance in the member poll, we have accepted the application as is.

T3DD13

Event - Sebastian Böttger - http://forge.typo3.org/boards/15/topics/45

The T3DD is one of the most important events organized by the TYPO3 Association as it is a lighthouse event in our community. Members of the different projects meet to discuss actual statuses of the development and further steps for the products to be taken. It is also an event where new contributors can be identified, bugs squashed and community batteries recharged. Historically the event was hosted at educational institutions and therefore room costs were usually low.

This year's budgetary situation does not allow us at the moment to decide easily on the application received. We acknowledge that the 2012 event was successful on a first financial outcome. Looking at the 2012 Budget we saw that the planned budget was at 40.000 EUR. Expenses for the event were at 81.000 EUR and income was 91.000 EUR. Therefore the 2013 budget application with 81.000 EUR is just simply reflecting the status of the 2012 event. What makes us feel uncomfortable is the possible risk that we did not want to put on the organizers back. Looking more deeply in the application made us think on how to justify the costs for a location that had some disadvantages compared to educational locations. Additionally the event date seemed to be too short in respect of the needed organisational and communication efforts to be taken.

We shortened the financial event volume by 50% because we cannot support the financial risk of this size. This also means that the event cannot be organized at the planned location. A fallback option is still to be considered, more details about this will be communicated soon by the event team.

typo3.org content refresh and improval

Communication - Boris Hinzer - http://forge.typo3.org/boards/15/topics/21

Based on the acceptance in the member poll, we have accepted the application as is.

Grid Elements 2.0 Part 1

Product - Jo Hasenau - http://forge.typo3.org/boards/15/topics/31

The project is already funded on base of crowdfunding, therefore the application was already withdrawn by the applicant.

Professional Services Listing on typo3.org (PSL)

Other - Frederic Gauss - http://forge.typo3.org/boards/15/topics/39

Based on the acceptance in the member poll, we have accepted the application as is.

General Communication Budget

Communication - Søren Schaffstein - http://forge.typo3.org/boards/15/topics/53

Based on the acceptance in the member poll, we have accepted the application as is.

Open Source License Taskforce

T3A Core - Olivier Dobberkau - http://forge.typo3.org/boards/15/topics/55

Based on the acceptance in the member poll, we have accepted the application as is.

T3BOARD

Event - Adrian Zimmermann - http://forge.typo3.org/boards/15/topics/42

Based on the acceptance in the member poll, we have accepted the application as is.

Expenses Lawyer

T3A Core - Alain Veuve - http://forge.typo3.org/boards/15/topics/34

We consider this budget as mandatory for our organisation, so we decided to grant it as is.

Community Management

Communication - Ben van 't Ende - http://forge.typo3.org/boards/15/topics/19

Because of the tight budget situation and on base of the polling results, we will grant 75% of this application.

TYPO3 Active Contributors Meetups (T3DD/T3CON)

Travel - Oliver Hader - http://forge.typo3.org/boards/15/topics/13

Because of the tight budget, we decided to remove paying T3CON tickets from this application. Active contributors should apply for holding a talk at the conference and would then get a free ticket. Besides that, we accept the application.

Google Summer of Code 2013

Other - Tobias Liebig - http://forge.typo3.org/boards/15/topics/33

After talking to the applicant, we agreed to cut the worktime for the setup sprint. It will be done on a voluntary base instead. Travel and hotel costs will be covered.
If our project application will be accepted by Google, the rest of the budget will be granted, too.
Otherwise, the idea of organizing our own TYPO3 summer of code should be considered and could possibly be backed up by the rest of this budget.

Grid Elements 2.0 Code Sprint Part II

Product - Jo Hasenau - http://forge.typo3.org/boards/15/topics/32

While the result of the acceptance poll was not distinctive, we still accept this budget application as is, because we would like to support code sprints as much as possible by taking over enabling costs.

Expenses Accounting

T3A Core - Alain Veuve - http://forge.typo3.org/boards/15/topics/52

We consider this budget as required to run the TYPO3 Association, therefore we have accepted it as is.

Agile TYPO3 “Phoenix” and FLOW3 Development

Product - Karsten Dambekalns - http://forge.typo3.org/boards/15/topics/37

Despite the difficulty of balancing the fact of the importance and the voting results, we could bring all factors together to a matching decision. We consider the clearly readable signal by the members to prioritize the TYPO3 CMS project more. On the other side, we consider the importance of Neos and Flow for further innovations to the whole project. In summary, the budget was cut by 50%.

To specifically foster the development of Neos, we have split up the budget into Neos and Flow parts, like requested by the EAB already during the first feedback phase:
This results in 1 Flow sprint and 3 Neos sprints which we will approve. Additionally, payment of development working time was only granted for work on Neos.

The EAB will work together with the Neos development team to specify the upcoming working packages, which are related to the financed working hours.

The TYPO3 Association has limited resources, paying the development costs of a stable framework cannot be provided unless there is more income (more members).
We are impressed of the first stable TYPO3 Flow releases, but we’re aware that many more features are yet to be built. For the future, we hope to see more contributions to TYPO3 Flow coming from sponsored customer projects, and will support the TYPO3 Flow team to make this happen.

General Assembly

T3A Core - Gina Steiner - http://forge.typo3.org/boards/15/topics/30

The general assembly is a fundamental legal need to the association and after verifying the budget in depth, we decided to grant it as is.

Release Management for TYPO3 “Phoenix” and FLOW3

Product - Karsten Dambekalns - http://forge.typo3.org/boards/15/topics/38

We consider the applied costs for release management as too high. We acknowledge that this budget includes more work compared to the release management TYPO3 CMS, but we cannot grant it completely. Especially in the case of TYPO3 Flow we like to see more voluntary work spent here, similar to TYPO3 CMS.

In summary, the budget was cut by 50%, of which we want to have the costs split in 25% for Flow release management, and 75% for Neos release management.

Marketing - General

Communications - Kian T. Gould - http://forge.typo3.org/boards/15/topics/56

Because of the tight budget situation and on base of the polling results, we have cut the travel costs for attending OSCON and for a strategy workshop with “Age of Peers”.

In summary, we have granted 73% of the application.

Event Coordination

Events - Thomas Hempel - http://forge.typo3.org/boards/15/topics/23

Due to the tight budget, we only accepted the enabling costs. We had to cut the working time.

Marketing - PR-Budget

Communications - Kian T. Gould - http://forge.typo3.org/boards/15/topics/36

We regret that the costs are too high in relation to their acceptance by the members. We see the need to invest more money into marketing matters in the future and wish to see more communication from the marketing team in order to raise the awareness for this.

While in summary, marketing budgets are twice the amount of 2012, the PR budget had to be cut entirely. However, the communications budget covers some parts of PR work as well.

Board Assistance

T3A Core - Alain Veuve - http://forge.typo3.org/boards/15/topics/15

The board assistance is required to run our organisation, so we decided to grant it as is.

Extbase Blog Example Extension

Product - Anja Leichsenring - http://forge.typo3.org/boards/15/topics/61

Due to the low result in the poll, the points within the application and higher demand of budget than available, we are not able to consider this application. We believe that it could be financed through crowdfunding or sponsorship due to specific needs by agencies.

Team meeting (aka product board)

Other - Gina Steiner - http://forge.typo3.org/boards/15/topics/47

Due to the tight budget, working time should be done on a voluntary base. Enabling costs like travel cost and hotel will be covered. 35% of the budget will be granted.

T3School

Other - Cyril Wolfangel - http://forge.typo3.org/boards/15/topics/46

This application was granted by the EAB because it may open new ways on how the knowledge about TYPO3 CMS can be spread. We think that funding initial support would be a good idea.

CEBAB Travel Expenses

T3A Core - Gina Steiner - http://forge.typo3.org/boards/15/topics/16

This budget aims to enable the different bodies of the TYPO3 Association to meet in person. We shortened the application in considering less meetings and people attending them.

T3CON Europe Conference Travel Expenses

T3A Core - Gina Steiner - http://forge.typo3.org/boards/15/topics/44

Despite the low poll results for this budget we grant it as it is due to the need of getting those people to the conferences. This is the base for further association work and the promotion of it.

Extbase Barcamp

Event - Anja Leichsenring - http://forge.typo3.org/boards/15/topics/25

Due to the low result in the poll, we decided to decline this application.

French speaking TYPO3 Forum

Other - Cyril Wolfangel - http://forge.typo3.org/boards/15/topics/29

The application has been withdrawn by the applicant.

Party Package improvements

Product - Christian Müller - http://forge.typo3.org/boards/15/topics/27

Although the result of the acceptance poll was not distinctive, we will support the code sprint by taking over the enabling costs.

TYPO3 Days on Poznan University of Technology (Poland)

Event - Tomasz Grzemski - http://forge.typo3.org/boards/15/topics/49

We would like to foster the growth of our community in other countries. Therefore we initially support this project even though the acceptance was relatively low.

Evangelism

Communications - Robert Lemke - http://forge.typo3.org/boards/15/topics/22

Due to the low result in the poll were not able to consider this application.

Backoffice-Improvements for shop.typo3.org

T3A Core - Alain Veuve - http://forge.typo3.org/boards/15/topics/14

Despite the low poll results for this budget we grant it as it is due to the need of getting those processes more efficient to save costs in the future.

TYPO3 Marketing Team // Website Infrastructure Optimization

Communications - Kian T. Gould - http://forge.typo3.org/boards/15/topics/35

Due to the low result in the poll, we decided to decline this application.

“Community” extension – implementation of groups and improve privacy control

Product - Tymoteusz Motylewski - http://forge.typo3.org/boards/15/topics/18

Due to the low result in the poll, we decided to decline this application.

Event Websites

Event - Thomas Hempel - http://forge.typo3.org/boards/15/topics/24

Due to the low result in the poll, we decided to decline this application.

FLOW3 Shop

Product - Edward Lenssen - http://forge.typo3.org/boards/15/topics/28

Due to the low result in the poll, we decided to decline this application.

TYPO3 Camp Carpathians

Event - Daniel Homorodean - http://forge.typo3.org/boards/15/topics/48

We would like to foster the growth of our community in other countries. Therefore we support this project even though the acceptance was relatively low.

Due to the tight budget, we only grant about 30%, which equals to the amount of financing the TYPO3 Days Poland.

123Blog

Product - Cyril Wolfangel - http://forge.typo3.org/boards/15/topics/12

Due to the low result in the poll, we decided to decline this application.

EAB Expenses

T3A Core - Peter Pröll - http://forge.typo3.org/boards/15/topics/386

This budget consists of travel costs for the EAB members (budget meeting and possible coordination meetings with funded teams) and for optimizing the whole budget process workflow.

Unfortunately, we missed to hand in an application for our own expenses. We apologize for that, but we hope you understand that we had been too much focused to all the other applications.

T3A Budget Pool

T3A Core - Peter Pröll - http://forge.typo3.org/boards/15/topics/387

This budget pool is planned to provide a bit of flexibility for unexpected expenses. There is no plan to use it right now.

Again, there was no vote about this application. We will make sure to remember it next year. Thanks for understanding!


Comments


Add comment

Please log in or sign up to comment.