Contribution is the lifeblood for a community. The more and better quality contributions we have, the more our products and community can develop. So we are looking for new ways to increase the contribution base and provide benefits for contributors.
Here are some of the new planned features for my.typo3.org:
Personal Profile Page
Each user on my.typo3.org will have the option to complete their own personal profile page. The user can choose what information they’d like to show different types of profile page visitor. There are three different options:
- Public: the property is shown to anyone who visits your profile (no login required)
- Community: the property is shown to everyone who is a part of the TYPO3 community and is logged into my.typo3.org
- Teams: the property is only shown to the teams you are a part of
As an example, you could decide to share your phone number only to teammates, but a small “about me” text to everyone. To give you control, the profile page is disabled by default.
We wanted to visualize “contribution” and decided a great way to do this would be to introduce a “Karma level”. Anyone who contributes to an official team or committee can earn themselves “Karma points”. You can also decide to display your contributions and points on your personal user profile, so the public can see what a dedicated contributor you are!
If you are an employee of a company that is a member of the TYPO3 Association, you can also link your user profile with your company profile.
Company Member Profiles
At the moment our member listing is pretty basic and more hidden than we’d like. We plan to rework the member listing and company profiles for all company members with the status silver level or higher. These profiles will have the bonus option to add a small company description, product and service offerings as well as their contribution level. We also plan to show the extensions that companies or individual members are currently maintaining.
Companies can connect their profile with user profiles of typo3.org users. These connections will populate page properties such as “number of certified developers”, “employees with typo3.org user profiles” or the accumulated karma level.
The member listing will add the “Karma level” as an integrated ordering item next to the membership level. This means the most dedicated members will appear higher in the listing and have their profile featured on additional pages on typo3.org.
We still have even more ideas and also concrete plans for later development:
- Team organization: we want to support our teams with services to make their tasks easier. It should become easier to send out mailings to team members, organize meetings and visualize team status.
- Community services: we will introduce a self-service area for the entire community. Here you will be able to set up your invoice address, plus view or download all invoices you have received (e.g. for official events, certifications etc.)
We plan to introduce these functions in the first quarter of 2019. If you like to contribute, join your Slack channel #t3o-team
What do think about our plans? Go ahead and leave a comment, we are excited to hear your opinions.